Lewis is an experienced Construction lawyer having acted for a broad range of clients including - employers and occupiers, main contractors and specialist subcontractors, consultants, funders, sureties, purchasers and tenants.
Lewis has established his expertise in development work on commercial, infrastructure and residential projects, in banking and corporate support work providing due diligence advice and in supporting real estate colleagues in the acquisition or disposal of freehold or leasehold interests in property.
Alongside this transactional experience, while Lewis is a keen advocate of pre-action negotiations and settlement, he has acted for both Referring and Responding parties in statutory construction adjudications in relation to wrongful termination, payment, defects and breach of duty of care disputes. He has been involved in construction litigation in the Technology and Construction Court ("TCC") and in the Commercial Court.
Lewis is familiar with the JCT suite of construction contracts and with the NEC3 and 4 engineering contracts. He also has experience of working with other standard form building and engineering contracts such as MF/1 and FIDIC.
Building on his experience as the Westlaw and Lawtel representative at the University of Manchester during which he provided weekly training sessions and advice clinics for fellow students, Lewis has delivered training seminars and workshops to RICS members and has a strong commitment to contributing to the professional growth and development of his colleagues.
The experience Lewis has gained in the construction sector has included complex work for large corporate and quasi-public entities including:
- Working as part of a team advising on the procurement of a new light rail (Metro) line, in particular analysing significant numbers of third party agreements and preparing schedules of Excluded Liabilities on behalf of the Contractor;
- Assisting in successfully defending and settling a multi-million pound claim by an international Contractor against our high profile commercial client. The underlying claim was complex and involved multiple grievances to both parties to the contract.
- Providing construction support to real estate colleagues in connection with the disposal of a significant development site to three separate major Housebuilder purchasers including site-wide remediation, groundworks and infrastructure arrangements and provision for each purchaser's respective rights and obligations in relation to those works; and
- Assisting on a project where the Contractor faced immediate insolvency, providing a rapid response to protect the client’s position by way of utilising step in rights, novation agreements and personal guarantees.
- Working on secondment to an engineering company (owned by a multi-national Energy Generator & Supplier supplying combined heat and power units to (amongst others) the retail, general commercial and sports sectors - advising and negotiating various supply, service and maintenance contracts.